Safety in Your Workplace and at Home – Electric Shock Treatment
SAFETY IN YOUR WORKPLACE AND AT HOME
Electricity is so much part of daily life that we often take it for granted. It is a powerful and versatile energy but can be dangerous if it is not used properly.
Serious accidents with electricity can occur in the workplace or home. It’s important to know the basic rules about electricity use and what risks not to take.
Your electricity supply comes through the ESB Networks main fuse and meter. Both of these items are sealed and must never be interfered with.
The safety of the electrical wiring installation in your workplace or home and how electric appliances are used and maintained are your responsibility.
GENERAL SAFETY TIPS
– Be vigilant for frayed wires, loose connections or damaged plugs and replace them immediately.
– For extra safety, always switch off and unplug electrical items when not in use.
– PAT test all portable equipment in your workspace yearly.
– Don’t overload sockets with adaptors or extension blocks.
– Test your trip switches or residual current devices (RCD’s) twice yearly (when the clocks change) by pushing the test button.
– Always use a registered Electrical Contractor to carry out electrical work.